Monday, April 19, 2010

Never seen something like this

Last Saturday I managed to leave office early as I had some personal work (read buying vegetables for my home). When I reached the vegetable market I felt almost the whole of India had come to buy vegetables in Ghatkopar. It was so crowded I am sure even air would have found it difficult to make its way through! Finally I was able to locate the vegetable that my mother had asked me to buy. This market is a long lane where vendors are situated on both sides covering almost all the shops behind them. When I was browsing through the stuff I realized that many people had gathered around that particular area. When asked, the vendor drew my attention to the nearby shop selling clothes. There was this guy standing outside the shop wearing a Sherwani, a crown of sorts on his head, hand gloves and what not. He was actually playing the role of a mannequin outside the shop. Every five seconds he would do a namaste to people standing outside and those coming to the shop as if welcoming them. Then the vendor told me that he had been doing this since 9 in the morning and had taken just two breaks for 15 minutes and it was already 7.30 in the evening! I was amazed to see this and so were the others who had actually started taking pictures and shooting with their cell phones. He was sweating like hell but still doing his namaste continuously aware of the fact that people were staring at him and taking his pictures just five feet away from him. I stood there for about 25 minutes and saw him doing it at regular intervals of about five seconds. He was so accurate and consistent with what he was doing that it was difficult to believe him as human. Finally I decided to leave praying nobody would ever have to do something like this and hoping that person would be paid adequately for this. Just when I started walking I came across another shop selling clothes. Window display of that shop had one amazing sight to offer: there was one light green shirt with a picture of a cartoon, never-seen-before, just below the pocket. The funny part is not this but the fact that there was a small board right on the shirt reading “Buy 3 FORMAL Shirts for Rs. 499”!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment