Monday, January 18, 2010

Relationship between Laziness, Automobile sales & Pollution

Whenever I go out with my family the first thing that I do once I get out of my building is to look for a rickshaw whereas my father would continue walking. This actually sums up one-third of my argument in this post i.e. present generation is lazier than the previous one. The other one-third of my argument being that this laziness is leading to more sales and the last one-third of my point being that everything that I have just mentioned is leading to more pollution!
Last week on my way to Ghatkopar station I made an interesting observation that majority of the people walking belonged to the 30-plus age group and those below 30 preferred going by rickshaw or private vehicles. This pattern has remained consistent since then. This is shocking as one would actually expect the reverse. But as I mentioned above, our parents don't mind walking a long distance whereas we wouldn't mind spending Rs10-15 just to cover a couple of alleys. The only positive that I see here is that youngsters are actually helping in automobile sales but the negative part is that it is creating pollution. As if this wasn't enough, we have found out a new way of increasing pollution i.e. home delivery. It has become a norm to order food which has forced restaurants to employ a few delivery boys and there are many who use scooters, bikes for the purpose which is again leading to pollution though even this is adding to vehicle sales! One may argue that even if one doesn't order and decides to go to the restaurant he will use some mode of transport which will again create pollution so the situation remains as it is. It is this attitude that needs to be changed. Why can't we just walk to a restaurant and also save some money in the process?
If not for environmental reasons one may do this for personal reasons i.e. to reduce flab which is becoming more and more obvious with an increase in the sales of XXL T-shirts! Speaking of environment reminds me of latest Idea ad which talks about tree conservation. Nice ad that by Idea (I have no idea whether it is leading to sales). Anyways, the other day I had gone to a restaurant with friends (of course I didn’t go by rickshaw or car!) where this idea came to my mind that why can’t we have a system where while we give order we also give our cell number and the bill is messaged on that number which we can show to the person at the counter and make payment accordingly. Even this can do wonders as far as tree conservation is concerned as a lot of paper can be saved.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts yaar... But then, as the say, people evolve (evolution doesnt necessarily mean improving though)... New Generation has more spending power, are lazy yet they know of ways to reduce the extra fat through other 'costly' means...
    About saving paper, ur idea is innovative... and am sure this will happen as soon as possible...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Idea Sirji!!! SMS could be one of the best ways but then adaptabality will always remain an issue till people are fine with change. Again incase of long list of items ordered, Cell phones requires some advancement considering the problem of not recieving more than 1 page sms at one go. But that said, this still looks brilliant way of reducing paper usage.

    ReplyDelete